What's Happening?

10.10.13

Idols Top 8 to perform Movie Magic Anthems


With world renowned composer, Trevor Jones working alongside RJ Benjamin in mentoring the Idols contestants this week, it was obvious that this week's theme is 
Movie Magic Anthems. 

Here's what the Top 8 contestants will be singing on the show this Sunday on M-Net and Mzansi Magic at 5.30pm 


Brenden: Kate Bush’s This Woman’s Work, from the 1988 John Hughes romantic comedy She’s Having A Baby, starring Kevin Bacon. 
Just wondering- is Brenden going to go the Maxwell route? I wouldn't blame him. I just wish though that he would rather perform another song. At least it's not I Believe I Can Fly. If someone ever sings that song again...

Bunny decided to go dramatic, performing the Seal hit Kiss From a Rose from the Batman Forever movie soundtrack in 1995.

Bunny! I love Seal too, but I expected her to sing Adele's Skyfall. She could easily kill it. I guess she's trying to not be predictable? But man, I would've loved to hear her sing that song this week. Thank goodness it wasn't And I Am Telling You from Dreamgirls. Now that would've been predictable.

Christina has selected Adele’s big Oscar-winning ballad from last year’s James Bond adventure, Skyfall

Now I didn't think Christina would do this song. I would've loved her to do Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland- Eva Cassidy version, which is so much better. And would showcase her skills as a vocalist. Click here to see Eva sing the song

Crystalene is attempting the Whitney Houston hit Waiting To Exhale, from the  romantic drama of the same name.

When will people learn to stay away from Whitney Houston songs? I'm honestly not expecting much from this performance. It's Whitney. 

Innocent will try his hand (voice) at Phil Collins hit Two Hearts, from the soundtrack of the 1988 British true life crime comedy Buster

The Grammy and Golden Globe winning song is one of the best Phil Collins songs and I cant wait to hear Innocent have a go at it. 

Musa chose the Brian McKnight ballad Win from the 2000 biographical flick Men of Honor, starring Cuba Gooding Jnr and Robert De Niro. 

Musa means business and once again, I'm happy he didn't bother with R. Kelly's I Believe I Can Fly. Now I hope he really kills it. He's become one of my favourites on the show.

Sonke chose Go The Distance from the 1997 animated comedy Hercules. 

What a pleasant surprise. Sonke just surprises us every week- it's no surprise why he's become the front runner, eclipsing early favourite Brenden. I'm sure Unathi is going to cry.
And Zoe plans to rock the house with her interpretation of the Grammy-winning Lady Marmalade cover by Pink, Christina Aguilera, Mýa and Lil’Kim from the 2001 movie, Moulin Rouge.

I don't know. It's such a busy, screechy, messy song. I wish she'd do the Patti LaBelle version. I wish that she'd maybe done One Night Only (Disco Version). At least that song, it's Beyonce singing and not screeching. 

It should be an interesting show. I wonder who will blow us all away. 

What if Rihanna co-judges Idols when she's here? Now that would be cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment