It's now time to boggle down and see which shows we can expect on Discovery Network channels.
TLC is the weird step-sister of the Discovery channels. For all the weird, odd, gory and WTF moments in TV, you go to TLC. From cooking and baking shows, to Mob Wives, insecure brides, Oprah and Honey Boo Boo Child, TLC is the most eclectic TV channel in history.
“We had some incredible successes in 2013 on TLC Entertainment,” said Lee Hobbs, Channel Director, Emerging Business, Discovery Networks CEEMEA. “The launch of OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network saw us enter the top 10 channels on DStv for the first time, and we welcomed several new faces to the channel such as Honey Boo Boo, Jo Frost and the cast of Breaking Amish who have also been massive hits with our audiences. 2014 will see more from the shows our viewers know and love, plus a raft of new series which are guaranteed to have our viewers glued to their TVs!“
Shows to expect next year:
- The Sisterhood (follows five feisty ‘first wives’ of Atlanta’s church scene who are more glamorous than demure)
- Starter Wives Confidential (follows the fabulous world of seven celebrity ex-wives and girlfriends, including the ex of 50 Cent)
- Best Funeral Ever (Cameras go behind the scenes of the Dallas-based Golden Gate Funeral Home who organize the most unique funerals in America, proving once again that, while you may be in a casket, it can still be fantastic!)
- Find Me My Man (It’s all about finding love in the matchmaking reality show- basically a rip off of The Bachelor)
- One Born Every Minute US (a reality docu-series about babies being born in the US)
The usual fair of TLC shows, like Cake Boss, Oprah's Next Chapter, Say Yes to the Dress, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo will be back.
- Gold Fever (Discovery is going back in time to follow the story of the California Gold Rush from the very beginning in the four-part documentary miniseries)
- Klondike ( A true story of two adventurers travelling west during the 1890s gold rush. Starring Richard Madden (Game of Thrones) and Abbie Cornish (Sucker Punch)
- Bear Grylls: Extreme Survival Caught on Camera
The favourites, like River Monsters, Fast ‘N’ Loud and Dynamo also return in 2014.
- Deadly Islands (Dave Salmoni sets out to solve some of the last big mysteries surrounding the world's most successful natural-born killers, from the vampire bat to the killer whale)
- Man, Cheetah, Wild. (Zimbabwean filmmaker Kim Wolhuter faces his own predators which sees the wildlife expert trail a female cheetah and her five cubs in Zimbabwe’s Malilangwe Game Reserve for 18 months.)
ID: Investigation Discovery
ID will present a host of new faces and series depicting the best stories of murder, mystery and scandal, while Discovery World will continue to showcase an unbeatable line-up of new blue-chip documentaries.
There's fun times ahead for Discovery Networks viewers on both DStv and StarSat. The DStv subscribers will of course have the edge because of the HD channels, but it won't be surprising if StarSat quickly gets the HD feed too. After all, they have also recently got an HD decoder for their new packages and channels.