What's Happening?

11.11.13

Durban's Nonhle Beryl stuns Germany


Durban born singer and actress, Nonhle Beryl is making waves in Germany after taking part in the German version of The Voice, The Voice of Germany. The classically trained singer and actress, who resume includes roles in The Lion King, sang Kelly Clarkson's Mr Know it All from her previous album, Stronger. 

She brought so much sass, drama and attitude to the song, that it wasn't much of a surprise when three judges turned around during her blind audition. She's now through to the Battle Round, where we won't be surprised if she makes it to the next round! 

We ran a small piece on her in The TV Snitch yesterday. 
Durban talent wows The Voice of Germany
It’s always great when expats do well overseas. Durban’s flag was raised high when Nonhle Beryl Makhanya impressed the judges during her blind audition on The Voice of Germany. Singing Kelly Clarkson’s Mr Know It All, Nonhle brought the house down with her sassy rendition of the song. It’s no surprise that three judges turned their seats and rallied to have her on their team. Nonhle is an alumnus of the Highway Christian Academy, in Pinetown and is a friend of Idols South Africa winner, Khaya Mthethwa. She moved to Germany with The Lion King in 2008, where she played Rafiki and Shenzi for five years in the Disney musical. She’s also had to learn how to speak German. 
But first, check out the video, be amazed and then proceed to vote for her online. 



Which school did you go to in Durban?
I went to Highway Christian Academy, in Pinetown. The same school as Khaya Mthethwa actually.
Where did you stay?
I grew up all over Durban. For some reason we moved a lot while I was growing up. I was born eMahlongwa, on the South Coast, but have lived in Kwa-Mashu, Umlazi, Newlands East, Rossburgh, but now my home, or rather my parent's home is in Glenmore.

How long have you been in Germany?
I've been living in Germany for the past 5 years, since 2008. I came here to do The Lion King musical. I left the production this past May to pursue a solo career in music.
What did the judges say about your performance? 
The consistent compliment,  which ironically was also the consistent criticism, was that I am technically perfect. Perhaps too technically perfect. I would say this comes from my years in musical theater - I am required to be technically perfect. I'm learning now that I don't always have to be like that. I can just enjoy performing and trust the gift God has given me and the training I've received.

To vote for Nonhle, Click HERE and scroll to the bottom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment