The issues between the cast of SABC 1's soap drama, Generations and it's producer, Mfundi Vundla, have finally been resolved.
In a meeting on Monday, the cast's representative, Mzamo Attorneys and the show's producer met and discussed the way forward for the soapie. The cast, including Menzi Ngubane, Winnie Modise, Sophie Ndaba and more have been on strike since early October. They wanted a long term contract and more money after the soap was renewed for three years by the SABC. Vundla wouldn't budge, which then led to production coming to a stop and Mfundi saying that no one is bigger than Generations and he has enough footage to work with until early next year. He also said during the beginning phases of the strike that he could write all of them out.
Here's an article the South African Press Association about the resolution that was taken.*Good on the Generations cast for getting their three year contracts! But then they now need to make sure they deliver- writers need to come on board and work wonders. Better, more believable storylines are what Generations need to be a critically acclaimed show. Right now it's not.
JOHANNESBURG Nov 6 Sapa GENERATIONS CONTRACT DISPUTE RESOLVED An agreement has been reached in the contract dispute involving actors in the popular soapie Generations, the SABC said on Wednesday. "All parties are pleased to announce that an agreement has been reached in terms of the cast's contract," said SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago. On Monday the SABC met with Mfundi Vundla of Morula Pictures and Mzamo Attorneys, who were acting on behalf of the Generations cast, involved in the contract dispute. In terms of the agreement reached, cast members would receive a three-year contract. Morula Pictures and SABC would review the proposed pay rates for the performers. They would pay the affected cast's October remuneration. "The two parties agreed to negotiate other terms, with the involvement of the SABC, and will endeavour to conclude a new agreement on or before the end of March 2014." The SABC's acting chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng said he was happy the matter had been resolved. "We are happy as the SABC that this matter has finally been laid to rest. The uproar which has been in the media around this issue, once again re-affirmed the public's love of our property." Vundla said he was delighted recording had resumed. "We look forward to delivering the best entertainment to our audiences." Generations production recording resumes on Wednesday. The soapie has a viewership of 8 million, according to primetime adult television viewing figures for September 30 to October 6.
*We are surprised that they will be paid October's remuneration. We honestly didn't see that one coming.
*Is this now going to start a chain reaction, with more actors wanting to be paid more and have long term contracts?
*Remember when The Wild launched and how everyone was mocking Tony Kgoroge for dumping the show because he wanted a share of the profits from syndication? Is that now going to happen more often in the industry?
*Is CWUSA now going to be more alert and in-tune with the issues that actors face? The American Screen Actor's Guild is very strict on the way actors are treated and paid. Is it now time for CWUSA to step up to the plate?