It's finally happened- the winner of the ninth season of South African Idol has been announced- Musa Sukwene (26), the gentle giant from eMalahleni.
He made history tonight when he became the first contestant ever from Mpumalanga Province to win Idols SA!
The competition between Musa and runner-up 19 year old Brenden Ledwaba from Graskop, also in Mpumalanga, was neck-and-neck over the tense final week of the competition and in the end Musa won by a narrow margin of just over 1 000 votes.
"We have never experienced such a close race before on Idols SA," commented Lani Lombard, M-Net's Head of Publicity and Special Projects. "It's testament to the calibre of the contestants as well as the passion of the fans. It's fantastic to be able to provide such a phenomenal platform for untapped local singing talent."
As the winner of Idols SA Season 9 Musa walked away tonight with over a million Rand in prizes:
- A R60 000 voucher towards state-of-the-art musical instruments, as well as a Bi-Wizz Scooter valued at R20 000, from Idols sponsor YAMAHA;
- a monitor system valued at over R57 000 and Premiere Wireless Technology Shure UHF-R® Wireless Microphone Systems valued at over R40 000 from SHURE MICROPHONES;
- R30 000 in fashion vouchers from Idols clothing sponsor Truworths;
- R350 000 cash from SAMSUNG, an All Share set worth over R50 000 as well as R350 000 from Idols SA.
- A brand new Ford Fiesta 1.0 (1 litre) Ecoboost Titanium Valued at R238 600 from FORD;
- And of course the ultimate Idols prize: a recording contract from UNIVERSAL MUSIC SOUTH AFRICA.
Universal will release a 4-track mini-album from their latest Idols SA superstar in time for Christmas, and it will be available exclusively for Samsung customers to download and keep from the KLEEK music app.
Congratulations to Musa and also Brenden Ledwaba for keeping us glued to the screen!
We wish them all the best.
Check SMtv soon for the interview with the winner, Musa.
Think you have a chance to win Idols next year? Well, you have ten weeks to prep yourself. Check the dates in next Sunday's TV Snitch.