|Alex Okosi and Tim Horwood with the new award|
After three months of planning, the MTV Africa Music Awards took place last night in Durban. Hosted by Marlon Wayans, the awards had some good moments, bad and sometimes ridiculous.
Firstly- props to the MTV team for putting on what was mostly a good show. Really good. That stage. The production as a whole. The pyrotechnics, lighting the whole thing! A few glitches here and there, but mostly good.
Get the Sunday Tribune to read about what went down last night.
|Mafikizolo won TWO major awards- Song of the Year for Khona and Best Group.|
|Uhuru and Professor. They killed it.|
|Trey Songz kept performing, even with a crappy mic|
- The surprise performance of Ladysmith Black Mambazo leading up to Uhuru, Professor, Oskido, DJ Bax and Yuri da Cunha!!! That was easily the best performance of the night!
- The performances were generally on point, so big up to the African artists! This is how you do it.
- THE STAGE WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
- THE PRODUCTION AS A WHOLE WAS AMAZING!
- Those ProTwerkers are GOOD. Pity they are very niche, and people are over twerking...
- Fashion was on ANOTHER level! Our artists dressed like stars that they are! YES to this! Bonang's dress? FIRE!!!
- Trey Songz and Miguel.
- French Montana? Twerk anthems to close the show?
- Khloe Kardashian? The unpleasant attitude. Fans were left disappointed.
- The Durban crowd? Why don't more Durbanites know more African songs? Come now.
- Red Carpet was a bit of a shambles- thanks to some MTV people hogging the artists that one couldn't even take pictures or ask questions properly!
|Khloe Kardashian leaving the press conference.|
|Marlon Wayans pic: Absolut Vodak Twitter|
|One of skits. This one with Sizwe Dhlomo. They just went that funny. sadly.|
- Marlon Wayans. Very disappointing host. Couldn't pronounce things. Made dumb jokes. Typical that he didn't research Africa and what we are about.
- Why wasn't Trevor Noah there? Why couldn't he host the awards? he's capable and he's damn talented. So why not? Still an odd decision.
- It's great to bring US stars here, but surely we should start focusing on our OWN African stars? We don't need the Americans to give our awards credibility.
Durban was a great host and the city delivered on the great weather and the visitors got to see the beauty of the city and parts of the province.
And now, for the winners
THE WINNERS OF THE 2014 MTV AFRICA MUSIC AWARDS:
Best Male: Davido (Nigeria)
Best Female: Tiwa Savage (Nigeria)
Best Group: Mafikizolo (South Africa)
Best New Act: Stanley Enow (Cameroon)
Best Live Act: Flavour (Nigeria)
Best Collaboration: “Y-tjukutja” - Uhuru Ft. Oskido, DJ Bucks, Professor and Yuri Da Cunha (South Africa/Angola)
Best Hip Hop: Sarkodie (Ghana)
Best Alternative: Gangs of Ballet (South Africa)
Best Francophone: Toofan (Togo)
Best Lusophone: Anselmo Ralph (Angola)
Artist of the Year: Davido (Nigeria)
Song of the Year: “Khona” - Mafikizolo ft Uhuru (South Africa)
Best Video: Clarence Peters (Nigeria)
Best Pop: Goldfish (South Africa)
Best International: Pharrell
Personality of the Year: Lupita Nyong’o (Kenya)
MTV Base Leadership Award: Ashish J. Thakkar (Tanzania)
Transform Today Award by Absolut: Clarence Peters (Nigeria)
|Davido, Flavour and fellow Nigerian singer|