Like SABC 1 and 2, SABC 3 is undergoing massive changes to its programming, changing the times of their shows, including Isidingo, The News and more, tonight.
SABC 3’s channel head, Aisha Mohamed, revealed at the recent advertiser upfront, that the channel will be undergoing a massive makeover. By 2015, SABC 3 will be a totally different channel, with a younger focus, and a cleaner look.
“We are re-branding and re-positioning the channel to mainly appeal to the core 25-35 age group,” she said. The channel will more mainstream and appeal to a wider audience, without alienating the current target market.
What’s interesting is that Expresso and Top Billing will undergo a few changes to ‘revitalise’ them. What’s great is that there are more local shows earmarked for the channel and from the week starting 14 July 2014, we can expect the changes and new programmes to be on air. Some shows to look forward to are Strictly Come Dancing (with a younger look and feel), several advertiser funded shows, a travel and cooking show with Masterchef Australia’s Hayden Quinn, a new talk show with Riaad Moosa and several others.
Gaining several of SABC 2’s shows will see SABC 3 embark to change them up, so that they fit with SABC 3’s market and that’s going to take a lot to get 50/50 to appeal to younger folks.
Here are the changes and more
- Isidingo moves to 7pm on weekdays.
- SABC 2's Swartwater will now air on SABC 3, Wednesdays at 9.30pm
- Revenge finally joins the channel, (Sundays from 20 July 8.30pm) as does the Dallas reboot on Sundays at 9.30, also from 20 July.
- The Hayden Quinn show premieres tonight on SABC 3 at 9.30pm. The show was (and still is) shot in South Africa, where the Australian experiments with various SAn cuisine. Sort of like Justin Bonello's Cooked in Africa series.
- Strictly Come Dancing premieres on Friday ay 8pm
- Die Nuus joins the SABC 3 line up at 7.30pm
- The News will now be at 6.30pm (death slot)
- 50/50 will now air on Sundays from 20th July at 5.30pm
- Fokus will now air on Sundays 7pm